Clean Talk Communication Model
(MLA Conflict Resolution Model, 2021)
Basic “Clean Talk” model: Includes simple, clear, brief reflections from the other person following each step.
- State what you are feeling. Keep it simple: sad, mad, glad, or afraid or some combination of these. Use “I “ statements throughout.
- State the specific behavior/data that is in question.
- State what you judge, believe, think.
- Own your projections as best you can.
- State what you want. Work to keep your wants independent of whether the other person changes or not.
Repeat what the other person has said before answering and get verification. Reflect feelings and words.
Clarify what would constitute a “win” for both? Define how you both will know when things are as complete as they can be at this time?
Honor the right of the person you want to be clear with to choose another time and/or place if necessary.
Make a clear ending, give thanks, and acknowledge what did happen.
*If you need some support in this process please reach out and ask for support*